General Business Matters
- We obtained a complete victory for Valeant Pharmaceuticals in a 16-plaintiff $30 million lawsuit related to Slobodan Milosevic’s takeover of Valeant’s Serbian subsidiary.
- We obtained a complete defense verdict for Stamps.com, the nation’s leading Internet postage provider, in a $40 million “anti-spam” lawsuit, one of the first lawsuits under the federal anti-spam act to go to trial.
- We obtained a complete plaintiff’s jury verdict for our client, Caleel + Hayden, a cosmetics distributor against Valeant Pharmaceuticals following a four-week jury trial. The jury awarded our client $2.4 million, finding that the defendant has breached its distribution agreement with Caleel + Hayden by terminating it, had intentionally interfered with our client’s business relationships, and had engaged in wrongful conduct through fraud by a false promise (the successful result led Valeant to retain us as their litigation attorneys).
- We obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against our client, Greka Oil & Gas, Inc., brought by one of the lessors on oil and gas leases in Orange County, seeking to terminate the leases and environmental remediation of the property.
- We successfully defended Greka Energy, Inc., a public energy company, in a securities class action alleging misrepresentations and omissions in connection with a going-private transaction. After winning every motion in the case, including a motion for expedited discovery and a motion to enjoin the transaction, we obtained a complete dismissal on behalf of our client.
- We represented Rincon Island Limited Partnership, which operates an oil and gas facility on Rincon Island off the Santa Barbra coast, in a lawsuit by a competitor alleging a contractual right to a portion of our client’s profits. After many months of litigation in both Texas and California, we obtained a complete dismissal of all claims asserted against our client.
- We obtained a confidential settlement on behalf of Stamps.com in a multi-million dollar lawsuit against eBay and PayPal alleging breach of contract and tortious interference with contract. After prevailing on every motion in the case, including a round of motions to dismiss and seeking summary adjudication, we obtained a highly favorable settlement for our client.
- We obtained a confidential settlement for our client, an investment banker, who alleged he had been wrongfully terminated and cheated out of his share of the profits. In a related arbitration proceeding, our client recovered his wages, statutory waiting time penalties, and attorneys’ fees.
- We are currently representing Stamps.com in a class action lawsuit alleging that the company’s policies related to the termination of accounts are unfair and unreasonable. We negotiated a complete settlement of all claims and are defending that settlement on appeal (over the challenge of an objector).
Entertainment/ IP Matters
- We obtained a complete dismissal with prejudice of our clients Home Box Office and Sacha Baron Cohen in a defamation and breach of contract lawsuit relating to an episode of “Da Ali G Show.”
- We negotiated a favorable settlement for Valeant Pharmaceuticals in a dispute with Courtney Cox Arquette over termination of Cox’s endorsement deal for Kinerase skin cream.
- We obtained a $2 million jury verdict in a wrongful termination action on behalf of our client, the former President of Digital Domain, a leading Hollywood special effects firm, in a breach of contract and wrongful termination lawsuit. The jury found, among other things, that our client had been terminated in violation of public policy.
- We obtained a confidential settlement on the eve of trial for our client, Adam Pick d/b/a/ Idol Go Home, in an “idea submission” lawsuit against the owners of American Idol, following a lengthy legal battle in both state and federal court.
- We obtained a highly favorable settlement on behalf of the former Director of Licensing at Virgin Records in a lawsuit alleging fraud, wrongful termination, and breach of contract against Virgin Records and Capitol Records.
- We obtained a highly favorable settlement for our client, a talent agent, who claimed he had been wrongfully terminated.
- We represented the author of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in an action against Colombia Pictures over the motion picture rights to the book (the action was stayed in favor of litigation in Canada where our client resided).
- We negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of Emmy award winning producer Kevin Wall and his company, Control Room, in connection with disputes over the management of one of their affiliated companies.
- We successfully prosecuted a trademark infringement action on behalf of our client, DAP World, Inc. a leading ear plug manufacturer under the brand name Hearos against Harman-Kardon, which resulted in a favorable settlement.
- We successfully prosecuted a trademark infringement action on behalf of our client, Valeant Pharmaceuticals to protect its famous Bedoyecta mark.
- We represented an animation studio and several of its executives in a case in which plaintiffs sought several million dollars in allegedly unpaid commissions. We obtained a dismissal of two of the defendants at the pleading stage and obtained a favorable nuisance value settlement of the entire case.
Real Estate Matters
- We obtained a multi-million dollar verdict for our clients, commercial real estate investors, following a three-week jury trial against First American Title Insurance Company. First American was found to have negligently failed to deliver supplemental escrow instructions to the seller which caused a multi-million apartment building transaction to fall apart. We also successfully defended the verdict on appeal.
- We obtained a multi-million judgment for our clients, the Bankruptcy Estate of James D. Baker and Florida Asset Financing Corporation, in a real estate dispute involving a Garden Grove Rehabilitation Facility. The Bankruptcy Trustee overseeing the case wrote: “Without a doubt, you have accomplished one of the finest results I have seen in over 46 years of the practice of law.” We successfully defended the verdict on appeal before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- We obtained a complete plaintiff’s victory for our client, a real estate developer, following arbitration of a bad faith insurance action against Fidelity National Title Insurance Company.
- We represented an owner of a National Hockey League team in a partnership dispute with other owners.
- We currently represent NBA player Brandon Jennings in connection with various legal matters related to his new career as a star point guard for the Milwaukee Bucks.